Acadiana Addiction Center is Louisiana’s premier treatment facility for chemical dependency and mental health concerns. And one of the things that set Acadiana apart is a treatment track designed to address substance abuse concerns in a population that can, at times, be disproportionally affected by addiction – nurses and other medical professionals.
There are a variety of reasons why a nurse may find him or herself struggling with substance abuse. Most notably might be the stress of the job in addition to sheer ease of access to prescription medications. But no matter the reason, we know that professionals who are battling an addiction need quality care that honors the dignity of the men and women who have worked tirelessly to help others heal.
The Professionals Recovery Program
Acadiana Addiction Center is Louisiana’s premier addiction treatment facility for substance use disorders and mental health diagnoses. One of the many things that sets Acadiana Addiction Center apart is a treatment track designed to address substance use disorders in Safety-Sensitive Professionals.
A safety-sensitive employee is an employee who, in the regular and foreseeable discharge of responsibilities, engages in conduct creating a reasonable risk of injury to self or others such that even a momentary lapse of attention could reasonably result in consequences of harm, loss or injury elevated by use, prescribed or otherwise, of drugs and/or alcohol. Examples of safety sensitive employees include healthcare professionals such as nurses and physicians, pharmacists, attorneys, airline pilots, and counselors.
There are a variety of reasons why safety-sensitive professionals may find themselves struggling with substance use disorders. Many find themselves in the position of having their substance use disorder exacerbated by the stress of their professions, and, in the case of healthcare workers, the sheer ease of access to prescription medications. We know that professionals battling addiction need quality care that honors the dignity of the men and women that work tirelessly in the service of others.
The Professionals Recovery Program at Acadiana Addiction Center is uniquely tailored for any professional who needs to repair his/her personal and professional life from damages caused by substance use disorders. This comprehensive program includes a separate and distinct 3-5 day evaluation process that complies with the requirements of a professional’s respective credentialing or licensing board.
Additional services are provided along a continuum of care that includes detoxification services, residential treatment care, and extended residential treatment care, partial hospitalization programming (PHP), intensive outpatient programming (IOP), and thorough aftercare options.
Participants in this program engage in this distinctive track uniquely tailored to individual needs. They will participate at times with participants from other treatment tracks, but the core of their treatment is specific to the inherent recovery challenges within their specific profession.
Our staff is experienced in working with individuals who want to work towards their own personal recovery and also meet all credentialing and/or licensing board regulatory requirements.
The evaluation process includes an assessment by recognized experts in the fields of addiction medicine, psychiatry, and psychology. Upon completion of the evaluation process, the findings and recommendations are presented to the participant.
Services and Supports
The Professionals Recovery Program consists of a multitude of services and supports rooted in the 12-Step philosophy of care. During treatment at Acadiana Addiction Center, participants will have access to a variety of treatment modalities to help them achieve their personal and professional goals for recovery. Some of these modalities include:
- Detoxification: Our onsite medically monitored detox service provides 24/7 supervision for clients by medical staff during the detoxification process. Medical personnel ensure comfort and safety during this critical interval of treatment and can provide non-addictive medications to ease the pain that can accompany symptoms of withdrawal. As clients progress, they can work with their counselors individually and begin to attend group therapy activities.
- Clients will have access to a variety of evidence-based individual therapies that include techniques such as Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Motivational Interviewing (MI).
- Clients will receive comprehensive education about the disease of addiction and will learn strategies that will enhance their ability to deal with environmental or biological triggers that can lead to relapse, and serve as the basis for a long-term plan of recovery.
- Clients will participate in a range of group counseling experiences that will include work in the areas of relapse prevention planning, symptom management, medication management, effective coping skills, 12-Step education and implementation, spirituality, and wellness.
- An Addictionologist and Registered Nurse facilitate specialty professional’s groups that focus on the unique aspects of being a person in recovery in a safety sensitive profession.
- Clients meet with the Addictionologist individually one time per week, in addition to meeting with their individual and group counselors.
Participants in this program engage in this distinctive track that is uniquely tailored to their needs, and while they may at times interact with participants from other tracks, the core of their treatment is specific to the inherent recovery challenges within the medical profession. Our staff is experienced in working with individuals who want to work towards keeping their licenses or getting them back, as well as those who have been directed by the board to seek evaluation and/or treatment.
A typical stay for participants in this program consists of a 3-5 day evaluation, a 5-7 day detox when needed, a 28-30 day residential stay, and an additional 30-60 days for extended residential programming if necessary. Intensive outpatient programming (IOP) typically lasts 8 weeks, and we have designed our aftercare planning to last a lifetime. At Acadiana Addiction Center, we have built a serene recovery environment that is meant to heal both the body and the mind, with amenities such as a gym, meditation room, pool, walking track, basketball court, and fishing pond with fountains and gazebos.
Services & Supports
The Professionals Program consists of a variety of services and supports with a foundation rooted in the 12-Steps philosophy. During their time at Acadiana, participants will have access to a variety of treatment modalities to help them achieve their personal and professional goals for recovery, which includes:
- Detox: Our onsite medically monitored detox provides 24/7 supervision for patients by medical staff during the 5-7 day long detox process. Medical personnel ensure comfort and safety during this critical interval of treatment and can provide non-addictive medications to ease the pain that can sometimes accompany symptoms of withdrawal. As patients gain strength, they can work with their counselors individually and begin attending group activities as they are able.
- Throughout treatment, patients will have access to a variety of scientifically backed individual therapies including Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Motivational Interviewing.
- Patients will participate in a range of group counseling experiences with topics focused on themes such as symptom management, effective coping skills, diversion, self-care, medication management, 12-Steps education and implementation, spirituality, wellness, and nursing education.
A Typical Day
The Professionals Recovery Program is designed with a balance of structure and fluidity to allow clients to focus attention on their goals for recovery and to limit distractions and interruptions throughout treatment. Each day consists of a schedule so that the men and women at Acadiana Addiction Center can move through programming knowing what to anticipate. A typical day begins with morning meditation and exercise, followed by the primary group, lunch, group therapy, recreational therapy on scheduled days, dinner, and either internal or external 12-Step recovery Support meetings. Individual and family sessions are scheduled throughout the day.
Because we are able to provide all necessary services along the continuum of care in one setting, our program provides a convenient treatment experience so that professionals can easily continue working on their goals for recovery. We focus special attention on preparing professionals to work towards returning to their personal and professional lives with the tools needed to achieve sustained recovery and sobriety.
Our Addictionologist is involved in all aspects of the treatment process, to include treatment and discharge planning. Aftercare and discharge planning is thorough and comprehensive. At Acadiana Addiction Center, we ensure that each client leaves our care with a clear plan for whatever the next steps he or she needs to take to continue a successful recovery journey. Having acquired tools to cope with stress while in treatment, our clients are well equipped to navigate cravings and overcome the temptations that can sometimes lead to relapse. Our team is here to guide clients through the evaluation and treatment process, interface with respective professional’s boards, and submit all of the necessary recommendations and documents for continued care.
If you or an important person in your life needs a quality treatment program that specifically addresses addiction within the professional setting, look no further that Acadiana Addiction Center’s Professionals Recovery Program. To learn more about this program, or any other aspect of the services we provide, please contact us today.
*Acadiana Addiction Center is recognized by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing.